Monday, August 17, 2009

Time for an update...

Wow, sorry all...who have been reading my blog...I didn't realize that it had been over two months since my last post! I'll try to make it up in the next coming days. Many of you know that I went to Arequipa (a city in southern Peru) for part of June and almost all of July for language study. It was a great time of seeing the staff there again and also time to relax a bit as the past year was full speed ahead.

My time in the classroom was good - though I was introduced to a grammar structure that we do not have in English called subjunctive. The problem is I have spoken Spanish for four years or at least attempted to and have not thought in this tense....it is somewhere between present and future. Anyhow...I have my work cut out for me as I try to unlearn what I have learned/used and apply the subjunctive to my sentences. My teachers were great - below is a pic of them. Karen was my grammar teacher and Edgar was my conversation teacher.


The city of Arequipa is surrounded by three volcanoes. Chichani (dormant), Misti (active), Pichu Pichu (extinct - blew it self up!). If you are in Arequipa and looking East....Chichani is first, then Misti and then Pichu Pichu is in the southern part of the city. Misti is about 19,500ft and by the looks of the base of Pichu Pichu - they say that it would have been the tallest mountain/volcano in the world at about 30,000 ft.


Below is the volcano Chichani on the NE side of Arequipa...

Below is the volcano Misiti which is about 15 miles due east of Arequipa at 19,100 ft...

And this is Pichu Pichu, Southeast of Arequipa, which at one time probably stood close to 30,000 ft...


Marshall

No comments: