Friday, June 13, 2008

Arequipa, Peru



Greetings from Arequipa! I am in Peru's second largest city 1,180,000 people. Arequipa is located in southern Peru at an elevation of about 8,200 feet. The picture above is of my plane at the airport and the volcano Chachani in the background. When I landed I got off the plane and noticed this towering mountain standing by itself - which I learned is called "Misti." Misti is another volcano that has not erupted since the 1700's and lets just hope that it stays that way. It is quite intimidating to see this monster perched over the city!

The reason I am in Arequipa and not Pucallpa is because I need to work on my Spanish! So, I am taking about three to four months of Spanish lessons. I go to school from 8:30 to 12:00 everyday - while having two sessions of Spanish - one being conversation and the other being grammar! I am staying with the program's director and his family.

I have included some pics of the house I am staying at as well as some street shots and of Misti the volcano!

No comments: